About the Manufacturer
Founded over 45 years ago in 1971, Kryptonite’s mission has always been, “to empower you to protect what you value.” Through dedication, expertise, and continual innovation, they have remained at the top of the security solutions industry. Constantly researching, producing, and testing, they strive to create only the best items that are effective, durable, and reliable.
In addition to premium products, the company’s anti-theft protection program that was introduced in 1977 not only offered customers additional security and peace of mind, but it set a new, higher standard in the field. From its inception, when Michael Zane invented the first U-lock, to present day, they have provided superior commitment, products, and support.
About the Kryptonite U Lock
The Evolution Mini-5 bicycle lock is strong, durable, versatile, and ready to protect your valuable items. Comprised of strong and resilient 13 mm hardened max performance steel, the shackle resists both bolt cutters and leverage attacks. The new hardened double deadbolt design offers double the protection, especially against twist attacks, and the high security disc-style cylinder is drill and pick resistant.
Its convenient and versatile Flexframe U-bracket makes it quick and easy to use on a variety of different types of bicycles, in a myriad of different locations. The Kryptonite U Lock is covered in a protective vinyl coating and includes three stainless steel keys; one key includes a replaceable LED key fob as well.
Positives and Negatives
This high security bicycle lock is a fantastic choice for most bicycles and provides excellent security that is convenient, versatile, and dependable. The lock’s mini design may make it a breeze to carry and store, but do not let its small size fool you. Its maximum performance steel, dual engagement deadbolt design, and disc-style cylinder combine to create a premium quality and high performing lock that is resistant to most methods of attack.
Drawbacks of the Evolution Mini-5 include a rating of seven out of 10 on the Kryptonite Security Scale and its double deadbolt engagement design may be a bit difficult to operate at times.
- 13 mm hardened max performance steel shackle
- New hardened doubled deadbolts with dual end engagement
- New pass-through crossbar design with enhanced anti-rotation features
- New sliding dust cover
- New, higher security disc-style cylinder
- Flex-frame U-bracket
- Protective vinyl coating
- Measures 3.25” x 5.5”
- Weighs 2.65 lbs.
- Includes three newly designed stainless steel keys, one of which includes a replaceable LED key fob
- Mini size makes it easy to transport and store
- Bolt cutter and leverage attack resistant
- Added protection against twist attacks
- Pick and drill resistant
- Convenient and versatile with multi-location u-lock transport
- Eligible for Anti-theft Protection program
- Eligible for Key Safe Program
- Ranked 7/10 on Kryptonite’s Security Scale
- May be a bit difficult to use